MENU
CLOSE
MENU
Main Image
MENU
CLOSE
"I wanted to teach in a school that was forward thinking and creative in its approach."
MENU
HOME | SIXTH FORM | THE ARTS | Creative Writing

Creative Writing

Creative Writing brings together two defined talents: the creative instinct for original ideas; and the art of fine writing. One is born from the imagination; the other is a technical skill to be learnt and mastered.

Fine writing and its ability to concisely communicate with precise clarity is as valuable to a lawyer, politician or advertising executive as it is to a journalist or playwright. Writing is at the heart of so much of what we do.

Creative Writing lives in a wealth of exciting opportunities at the School, in co-curricular clubs, and inspiring inter-departmental collaborations. There is also an abundance of competitions, where Surbiton girls are enjoying national and international success.

In 2013, for the first time, the School appointed seven Student Laureates from across the School to a one-year mentorship with our Writer in Residence, during which they will represent their own ideas as well as representing the School and its student body.

As Surbiton’s progressive vision for creative development strengthens, we are delighted to introduce the innovative new Creative Writing A-level, that is eagerly anticipated by universities across the country.

Creative Writing is the product of acquired skills as well as inspiration.

Creative Writing Clubs

For the first-time, have-a-go writer or the passionately prolific. Flash fiction, short stories, novels, poetry, graphic novels, drama / film scripts, blogging - whatever takes our fancy. Write, read and respond. The focus will be on exercises to inspire, encouraging feedback to improve and editing skills to polish. How to describe secrets and lies - that's fiction.

Creative Writing
Where Ground Floor, Mary Bennett House
When Wednesday 12.35pm - 1.35pm
Who Years 7 - 13
Staff Mr Stuart Bird
Places Unlimited

Upper School Creative Writing Club
Where Ground Floor, Mary Bennett House
When Tuesday 1.00pm - 1.30pm
Who Years 10 - 13
Staff Mr Stuart Bird
Places 10

back to top
shrink image
view full image

Creative Writing

Creative Writing Clubs

Creative Writing
Where Ground Floor, Mary Bennett House
When Wednesday 12.35pm - 1.35pm
Who Years 7 - 13
Staff Mr Stuart Bird
Places Unlimited

Upper School Creative Writing Club
Where Ground Floor, Mary Bennett House
When Tuesday 1.00pm - 1.30pm
Who Years 10 - 13
Staff Mr Stuart Bird
Places 10

back to top