MENU
CLOSE
MENU
HOME | SENIOR SCHOOL | ACADEMIC | Learning Enrichment and EAL

Learning Enrichment and EAL

Surbiton High School aims to help all children reach their full potential.

We recognise that every child is different and that some may need more support than others. Learning differences such as dyslexia and dyspraxia need not be a barrier to success. Learning Support Staff work in a practical and affirming way to ensure that students not only have the support they need, but also they gain confidence in their own strengths and ability.

Support is provided by:

• Screening and assessment to identify difficulties
  • Referral to other professionals as necessary, including assessment by an Educational Psychologist at School
  • Individual, paired or small group specialist tuition
  • OPAL (Opportunities for Personalised Additional Learning) programme in Years 8, 9, 10 and 11. Small Learning Support classes incorporating individualised teaching
  • Learner profiles to communicate with teachers about an individual’s particular pattern of strengths and weaknesses, the impact on learning and suggested teaching strategies
  • Close liaison with the examinations team to ensure appropriate access arrangements.

International Students and English as an Additional Language

The Tutor for International Students is responsible for coordinating support for students for whom English is not their first language. Two part-time, specialist EAL teachers work with girls individually, in pairs or small groups to provide the following:

• Language tuition and subject support
  • Preparation for Cambridge English Examinations, IGCSE and IELTs
back to top

Learning Enrichment and EAL

Support is provided by:

• Language tuition and subject support
back to top