MENU
CLOSE
MENU
Main Image
MENU
CLOSE
80% of pupils achieve places at Russell Group Universities
MENU
HOME | ADMISSIONS | APPLY | Sixth Form

Sixth Form Entry

Click on a question below to reveal the answer:

When can we visit the school?

We have specific Open Events for prospective Sixth Form entrants. These include a tour of the School and the Sixth Form Centre and the opportunity to meet with subject staff and discuss subject choice. If you are not able to attend, we would be delighted to arrange an individual tour for you. To attend the Open Morning, or arrange a tour, please contact the Admissions Office on 020 8439 1309 or admissions@surbitonhigh.com

When and how should we apply for a place?

Please complete the online Application Form. There is a non-returnable application fee of £100. Please complete the online Application Form by 1 November the year before entry.

How many places are available?

The number of places available is limited. Usually we have approximately ten places available each year.

What schools do your pupils come from?

The majority of girls from our own Senior School move up to the Sixth Form. External entrants come to us from a variety of state and independent schools in the area and from schools further afield or overseas as a result of family relocation.

What are the entry requirements?

The following entry requirements are in place to support students to successfully complete their A-levels. Further information is available from Mr Jon Owen, Director of Sixth Form.

You would need a minimum of eight GCSE passes at grade A* - B (or 9 - 6 for English Literature and Language), including, for external applicants only, A in Mathematics and Grade 7, 8 or 9 in English Literature or Language and you must achieve an A* / A grade for the subjects you wish to study at A-level. Any offer made will be conditional on achieving these results.

For A-level subjects that you have not previously studied at GCSE there are individual subject requirements:

• Art History: Grade 7, 8 or 9 in English Language or English Literature, or A / A* in History
  • Classical Civilisation: Grade 7, 8 or 9 in English Language or English Literature
  • Economics and Business: Grade 7, 8 or 9 in English Language or English Literature plus A / A* in Mathematics
  • Philosophy: A / A* in Religious Studies
  • Photography: A / A* in Art
  • Politics: A / A* in History
  • Psychology: A / A* in Biology or double award Science, A / A* in Mathematics and Grade 7, 8 or 9 in English Language

In order to access the Mathematics A-level course automatically, an A* grade at IGCSE Mathematics is required. A candidate who would like to follow the Mathematics A-level course with an A grade at IGCSE Mathematics will be referred to an interview with the Head of Mathematics and a member of the Senior Leadership Team to assess her levels of suitability and confidence in the subject. There is significant well-founded statistical evidence to show that the step up in difficulty from Mathematics IGCSE up to A-level is particularly high.

What happens if I am not sitting GCSE examinations?

If you are applying from overseas and are not sitting GCSE examinations, we will ask you to sit entrance examinations in Maths, English and a language or other appropriate subject. Any offer made will be conditional on A-level subject choices agreed with you during your interview.

Is there an interview?

Yes, you will have an interview with the Director of Sixth Form. We will want to discuss your intended A-level subject choices and University and Career aspirations, as well as find out more about your interests and achievements both academic and co-curricular.

Do you offer the Extended Project Qualification (EPQ)?

Yes, all Year 12 students start the EPQ Taught Course of study skills and can then decide if they wish to complete the full EPQ qualification. This is particularly valuable in developing girls' ability to work independently at a demanding academic level, to research a topic of their choice and produce an extended dissertation and formal presentation. We also offer opportunities to study Open University modules and AS Critical Thinking.

Do you offer Scholarships or Bursaries?

We have a number of scholarships available for Sixth Form entry; Academic, Art, Photography, Drama, Music and Sports (Gymnastics, Hockey, Netball, Rowing, Skiing and Tennis). We also offer the Principal's Award which is allocated by the Principal to a candidate who has achieved an exceptional level in the Scholarship Examinations as well as one or more additional scholarship disciplines. In addition, the Dame Angela Rumbold Science Scholarship is awarded to a pupil who has attended the School since Year 7 and intends to pursue a Science related course at University. Further information can be found on the Sixth Form Scholarship and Bursaries page.

Church Schools Foundation Assisted Places available for Sixth Form entry, that offer a means tested bursary on a sliding scale. There is also a percentage reduction in the fees for daughters of full time members of the Clergy.

The Green and Silver Club Bursary is awarded to a pupil who has been in the School since Year 7 and would be unable to continue in the Sixth Form without financial support. It is a means tested bursary and further details are available from the Admissions Office. 

Fees are discounted by 5% for the second sibling and 10% for the third and any subsequent siblings who attend any of the three Surbiton High Schools at the same time. 

back to top
shrink image
view full image
HOME | ADMISSIONS | APPLY | Sixth Form

Sixth Form Entry

When can we visit the school?

How many places are available?

What schools do your pupils come from?

What are the entry requirements?

• Photography: A / A* in Art
  • Politics: A / A* in History

Is there an interview?

Do you offer Scholarships or Bursaries?

back to top