MENU
CLOSE
MENU
Main Image
MENU
CLOSE
"Surbiton High School made the girls feel very welcome and this in turn gave them huge confidence." Prospective Year 7 Parent
MENU
HOME | ADMISSIONS | APPLY | Year 7

Year 7 Entry

Click on a question below to reveal the answer:

When can we visit the school?

We hold Open Mornings throughout the year to welcome prospective parents and their daughters to the school.   Click here for dates. Each event lasts approximately one and a half hours and includes a presentation by the Principal, an opportunity to tour the school and to talk with our staff over refreshments. If you are unable to attend an Open Morning, we would be delighted to arrange an individual tour of the school. To attend an Open Morning, or arrange a tour, please contact the Admissions Office on 020 8439 1309 or admissions@surbitonhigh.com

When and how should we apply for a place?

Please complete the online Application Form by 1 November the year before entry. There is a non-returnable application fee of £100 (£150 if the entrance examination will be sat overseas). Your daughter will then be invited to sit the entrance examination in January before entry. We will contact your daughter’s current school to request a confidential report on her academic and other achievements and her potential.

Do you operate a Waiting List?

After we have offered an appropriate number of places, we may also offer a small number of waiting list places to girls who have reached an appropriate standard in the entrance examinations. In the event that we still have places available after the acceptance deadline has passed, we may offer those girls on the waiting list a place.

Which schools do your pupils come from?

2015 Year 7 entrants came from 54 different schools.  Of those that joined from schools other than Surbiton High Girls' Preparatory School, around half came from local Primary schools and half from Independent Preparatory Schools.

When is the entrance examination?

The entrance examination is held each year in early January and for 2018 entry will be on Thursday 4 January 2018. 

Where is the entrance examination held?

The examination is held at Surbiton High School, in Senior School classrooms so the girls are tested in class sized groups and for those who have visited the school, the environment will not be completely unfamiliar. If your daughter is ill on the day of the examination, we may be able to arrange an alternative date for her to sit the examination. Special arrangements may be made in exceptional circumstances for girls to sit the examination overseas at additional cost. Please contact the Admissions Office for more information.

What if we are applying from overseas?

We may be able to make special arrangements for your daughter to sit the entrance examination at her current school, or at the British Embassy in your country of residence. There is a slightly higher application fee of £150 for overseas applicants to cover the cost of these arrangements. Please contact the International Registrar on 020 8439 1309 or admissions@surbitonhigh.com for more information.

What does the Entrance Examination involve?

There are two papers, English and Mathematics, plus a Personal Statement. We offer the girls a break after the English examination and refreshments are provided.

English

The examination is 1 hour 15 minutes long. We expect girls to be thoughtful readers and fluent, confident writers. The paper tests candidates' ability to understand and respond to the content and language of unseen text and demonstrate effective written communication by producing a piece of creative writing.

Maths

The examination is 1 hour long. We assume the girls have covered Number, Shape and Space, Measurement and Data Handling and expect them to be able to add, subtract, multiply and divide whole numbers, simple fractions and decimals. We are looking for girls with the ability to reason and apply these basic skills in solving problems including the use of charts, diagrams and tables. Fluency and accuracy and knowledge of multiplication tables are very important and girls will need to be proficient in all of these skills in order to work quickly and accurately without a calculator.

Personal Statement

Girls are given 20 minutes to write a short personal statement highlighting their successes, co-curricular activities, contributions they make to their school and community and their plans for the future.

Are past papers available?

We do not make past papers or sample papers available to individuals or schools.

Is there an interview?

No, we use your daughter’s school report and Personal Statement to provide information beyond the results of the entrance examination and we use all of the information available in our decision making process.

Will my daughter get extra time in the examination as she is dyslexic?

If your daughter has been assessed by an Educational or Occupational Psychologist and may need extra time, a laptop, a scribe or reader or other special arrangements to be made in order for her to sit the entrance examination, please let us know when you apply and provide copies of any assessment or report that is available. Our Learning Enrichment team will assess her requirements and make sure the necessary support is available.

Do you offer Scholarships or Bursaries?

We have a number of scholarships available for Year 7 entry: Academic, Art, Drama, Sport (Hockey, Gymnastics, Netball, Skiing and Tennis) and Music scholarships. Further information can be found on the Year 7 Scholarships and Bursaries page.

Church Schools Foundation Assisted Places are available that offer a means tested bursary on a sliding scale. These are awarded for the full seven years of the Senior School and so are only available to those expected to stay at the School until University entrance. There is also a percentage reduction in the fees for daughters of full time members of the Clergy. Application forms for CSFP or Clergy bursaries are available on Year 7 Scholarships and Bursaries page or from the Admissions Office.

Fees are discounted by 5% for the second sibling and 10% for the third and any subsequent siblings who attend any of the three Surbiton High Schools at the same time.

back to top
shrink image
view full image
HOME | ADMISSIONS | APPLY | Year 7

Year 7 Entry

When can we visit the school?

Do you operate a Waiting List?

Which schools do your pupils come from?

When is the entrance examination?

Where is the entrance examination held?

What if we are applying from overseas?

English

Maths

Personal Statement

Are past papers available?

Is there an interview?

Do you offer Scholarships or Bursaries?

back to top