MENU
CLOSE
MENU
HOME | SIXTH FORM | BEYOND SHS | University and Alternatives

University and Alternatives

The Sixth Form Team, which include the Head of Sixth Form, Heads of Year, Tutors, UCAS Co-ordinator, Oxbridge Co-ordinator and the Career Department, work closely with the girls throughout their time in the Sixth Form to ensure they make the right choices for the future.

Higher education-focused activities delivered by the Sixth Form Team and others include:

Year 12

• Visiting academics and admissions staff from leading universities provide guidance on choosing one’s subject, admission, UCAS personal statements and finance
  • Choosing Your University Course Presentation (Year 12 PSHE)
  • Oxbridge Evening 
  • Oxbridge Reading Week Trip Year 12 
  • UK Coursefinder Questionnaire PSHE – free questionnaire helping students choose a degree subject based on their interests
  • Each girl will receive at least one full higher education and careers interview with in-depth write-up and action plan emailed to the student and their parents. Supplemented with Morrisby Profile feedback if enrolled
  • Personal Statement Day (Summer, Year 12)

Year 13

• Post A/S Applying to Higher Education for Students and Parents Evening (Year 13)
  • Support with UCAS application, particularly the personal statement
  • Writing of UCAS references
  • Oxbridge Interview Exchange with Hampton Boys Year 13

Across Both Years 12 and 13

• Specialised support from Mr Owen, Director of Sixth Form, with medical, dentistry and veterinary school applications
  • In-House Medical School Preparation Evening Course delivered by doctors and the Careers Department
  • Particular support from the Art Department for those applying for Art School and Architecture
  • Visits to universities, particularly prioritising areas that require special preparation such as healthcare and art school options
  • Working Lunches from Careers Department with a university focus (e.g. Why Study in Scotland? and Applying to Medical School)
  • Additional interviews with students and parents are on a drop-in or appointment basis with the Sixth Form Management Team, Tutors and the Careers Department
  • Drop-in advice and personal statement support from tutors, Heads of Year, the UCAS Co-ordinator and others

Please note that this is only a selection of activities and elements may vary year to year.

University Resources

www.ucas.com – University application portal and place to search for all degrees.

www.opendays.com – List of open days at UK universities.

www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk – University and subject league tables.

www.push.co.uk – Claims to be a “ruthlessly independent” university review website.

http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/ – Official data for undergraduate courses on each university and college's satisfaction scores in the National Student Survey, jobs and salaries after study and other key information for prospective students.

www.notgoingtouni.co.uk – Targeted at those thinking at alternatives to university with search function for A-level Employer Schemes, etc. However, also has search function for sponsored degrees and Gap Year options.

www.ukcoursefinder.com

Good sites for suggested degree reading lists (vital to develop interest in your degree and for personal statement evidence of interest):

Oxford: http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/courses/suggested_reading.html

King’s College, Cambridge: http://www.kings.cam.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/offerholders/reading-lists/index.html

There are good books available in multiple copies in the Main School Library and the Careers Library (Sixth Form).

COA Degree Course Descriptions – quick overview of what each main degree involves and also provides related degrees to research on UCAS.

HEAP: Choosing Your Degree Course and University – gives quick overview of what each university offers in each main subject area – contents of the degree, different variations at that institution (e.g. Chemistry for drug discovery or psychology and human resources) and what you can combine a particular subject with. Burrow down on university’s own website when you find something that appeals.

HEAP: University Degree Course Offers – by subject, shows you grades required by each university and advice for entry into that course.

For career/job research resources, see the Career Section Here

Progressing beyond the Sixth Form

Students are encouraged to consider what they will do after completing their A-levels early in Year 12 during PSHE sessions covering the benefits of university, work and gap years. Reference books on subjects such as university admissions tests and prospectuses for most UK universities are available for use in the Study Area.

Our expectation is that all students will progress to further study and the process of choosing and applying for courses begins in earnest in the Spring Term. All students take the "Centigrade" questionnaire, which aims to identify the sorts of Higher Education courses they would be interested in, and students are then shown how to use online resources to research courses. In the Summer Term there is a session introducing providers of Gap Year programmes.

After the AS examinations, there is an evening for parents and students explaining the process of applying to Higher Education courses, followed by Higher Education Day, where Year 12 students dedicate a whole day to preparing their application. At the beginning of the Autumn Term of Year 13, Form Tutors, Heads of Year, the Oxbridge Co-ordinator and the Director of Sixth Form work with all students individually to ensure they are applying to appropriate courses and their personal statement is the best it can be. The Art Department give individual support to those applying for Art Foundation courses. Our aim is that all applications are sent before the October Half Term.

During the Autumn and Spring Terms of Year 13, students receive offers of university places, and their Form Tutor and the Sixth Form Management Team help them narrow down their choices to one firm and one insurance offer.

On A-level results day in August, the majority of students achieve the required grades and their university place is confirmed. The Sixth Form Management Team are in School on results day and the following day to support those few students who have not achieved the required grades, or have changed their mind about the course they wish to take, in finding a place through the Clearing System. Although this only happens to a few students each year, we strongly recommend that all Year 13 students are present in School on A-level results day in case they do not achieve the required grades and need to negotiate with universities.

We recommend that students who take a Gap Year apply for a deferred place at university before they leave School. We do, however, provide support to girls wishing to apply to university in the Autumn Term after they have left School, should this be required.

back to top

University and Alternatives

Year 12

• Oxbridge Evening 
  • Oxbridge Reading Week Trip Year 12 

Year 13

• Writing of UCAS references

Across Both Years 12 and 13

University Resources

www.ukcoursefinder.com

Progressing beyond the Sixth Form

back to top