MENU
CLOSE
MENU
HOME | SIXTH FORM | ACADEMIC | Gifted and Talented

Gifted and Talented

It is a principle of Surbiton High School to always bring out the best in everyone. This is an integral part of the School’s commitment to ensure maximum educational opportunity and academic enrichment for all students, and states our commitment to providing an environment in which all students are enabled to realise their potential.

Our aim is to raise the aspiration of all students that there will always be high expectations of achievement. The School will ensure that students have access to a suitably differentiated and challenging curriculum and that there will be opportunities for students to identify their unique profile of preferred learning styles.

Throughout school life, a wide variety of activities take place both within the curriculum and beyond it. Some of the highlights include involvement in national competitions such as the Maths Challenge and the Biology Olympiad; both of these allow our pupils to compete nationally and challenge them to extend their knowledge and interest in the subjects. We have annual success in both competitions, with several girls frequently gaining Gold certificates. A chess master works closely with pupils, enabling them to improve their ability in chess regardless of their level. Whenever a department organises a trip to enhance the curriculum, challenging the most gifted pupils is in the forefront, for example, the Year 9 annual trip to Ypres encourages the girls to think about the consequences of war from not just the political and historic angle, but from the philosophical as well. We have run successful weekend trips for scholars, the most recent of which focused on the importance of Jane Austen and her life in that era. The trips aim to be cross-curricular with as many subjects as possible so that our pupils look at topics from a wide variety of angles, helping pupils to think  more deeply about any given subject. Pupils are also given various opportunities to carry out research projects.

Download Gifted and Talented Flyer

back to top

Gifted and Talented

Download Gifted and Talented Flyer

back to top