MENU
CLOSE
MENU
HOME | SIXTH FORM | ACADEMIC | ICT and Computing

ICT and Computing

Examination Board AQA

The world is increasingly dominated by the use of Information and Communication Technology. Many aspects of our daily lives rely on ICT at a practical level. It is at the heart of the majority of commercial, industrial, service sector and scientific organisations.

ICT helps students develop a number of new skills including:

• How to assemble data and assess its quality
  • How to investigate facts and use deduction
  • How to put over your point of view fluently
  • How to work as a team to achieve results

This course will extend your skills in the major software applications, including Spreadsheets, Word Processors, Databases, Presentation Software and Graphics Software. It will also introduce you to the fundamentals of ICT such as components of information systems and the role and impact of ICT on society.

Students who continue to study to A2 level will be very proficient users of ICT who can use their skills to solve real-world problems.

It is beneficial but not essential for you to have studied ICT at GCSE. The most important characteristic is that you enjoy using ICT.

A qualification in ICT will combine well with most subjects, especially if those subjects require an ability to manipulate and communicate information. Students who take ICT often also take Business Studies, Design and Technology, the Sciences or Arts courses.

ICT is good preparation for a degree in either Computing or Information Systems. In the workplace, those with the knowledge and skills to use ICT creatively have the opportunities to pursue careers in ICT related sectors, or to enhance their performance in their chosen field.

back to top

ICT and Computing

Examination Board AQA

back to top