MENU
CLOSE
MENU
HOME | SIXTH FORM | ACADEMIC | Government and Politics

Government and Politics

Examination Board Edexcel

“Man is by nature a political animal.” - Aristotle.

If you agree with Aristotle’s statement then studying Government and Politics may be the right choice for you. The study of Government and Politics will provide you with an understanding of the politics of the UK including its local, national and European Union dimensions and allow you to consider key political issues. Students considering Government and Politics should be interested in current affairs and contemporary politics and want to gain a good foundation of political knowledge. You will need to be able to analyse critically, to evaluate evidence and to write in a fluent and developed manner.

Government and Politics at Surbiton High School is an academically rigorous subject. We offer a wide ranging A-level curriculum, from British politics to the Government of the United States of America. We continually challenge the views held by our students through high order questioning and discussion, and they are engaged with contemporary political issues and debate. Key philosophical questions are considered, such as, is FPTP defensible or what makes a Prime Minister powerful? In addition, we examine more contemporary questions, for example, how has redistricting in the USA contributed to the current problems in Congress?

We offer numerous activities that promote intellectual engagement and enjoyment in the subject. Our students have the opportunity to participate in the Model UN. We have an in-house politics society run by the Sixth Form students. Students deepen their understanding of the subject through visits to Parliament, where our key focus is the role of the Select Committees. Our A2 students attend a seminar in US Politics at the British Library; here they are able to discuss current issues in American politics with US Senators.

back to top

Government and Politics

Examination Board Edexcel

back to top