MENU
CLOSE
MENU
HOME | SENIOR SCHOOL | ACADEMIC | Design and Technology

Design and Technology

In Design and Technology at Surbiton High School, pupils learn to work in wood, metal, plastic, modelling materials and textiles and utilise a range of specialist tools and equipment to produce quality products.

Through Design and Technology, students develop a critical understanding of the impact of Design and Technology on daily life and the wider world. Additionally, the subject provides excellent opportunities for students to develop and apply value judgements of an aesthetic, economic, social and technical nature, both in their own designing and when evaluating the work of others.

Design and Technology is taught in three specialist rooms. Students are trained in the use of the full range of hand tools and specialist equipment. Staff also undertake regular training to keep their skills current in the rapidly moving world of design innovation.

The new Graphic Product studio has a CNC Laser Cutter, CNC Vinyl cutter and A3 colour printers, which are supported by a suite of networked computers with an excellent range of CAD CAM software.

The Resistant Material workshop offers students a wide range of facilities for working in a choice of many materials and includes a CNC router and CNC milling machine.

Textiles is accommodated in a new studio, where students can enjoy using CAM embroidery machines and the latest sublimation printing processes. Work is supported by a set of wireless laptops.

back to top

Design and Technology

back to top