MENU
CLOSE
MENU
HOME | SENIOR SCHOOL | ACADEMIC | ICT and Computing

ICT

The introduction of affordable technology has dramatically changed the world around us at a staggering rate. Today, most of us carry more powerful technology in our pockets than the mainframes used by NASA to send the Apollo missions to the moon. We believe that the ability to understand the concepts and application of this technology is vital to the futures of our students.

The department’s work is comprised of two strands – Computing and ICT. ICT is a subject that focuses on the business application of technology. Students gain an understanding of the tools that technology can grant us and learn to select the right one to complete a task. Students will gain an excellent understanding of how to tailor generic software packages to meet a user’s needs. In Computing, we study how the computer works at a fundamental level to understand how the technology works. Instead of using software that somebody else has written to create a solution, students will start with a blank screen and will write programming code to make their own software.

In Years 7, 8 and 9 we cover both ICT and Computing topics, from the effective use of the Internet to programming robots, from programming computer games using Scratch to the use of Databases to solve a mystery. As a department we encourage the development of problem-solving skills through independent learning.

In Years 10 and 11, students can opt for either ICT or Computer Science at GCSE. In both of these options we develop theoretical understanding and practical skills, albeit in significantly different ways of creating a solution. A similar choice between ICT and Computing is also available at A-Level and we are proud to be one of few all-girls schools to have had a number of pupils go on to study Computer Science at University.

ICT and Computing lessons at Surbiton are lively, engaging and hands-on. We believe that empowering pupils with the confidence to explore technology for themselves will give them the ability to compete effectively in the workplaces of the future.

back to top

ICT

back to top