MENU
CLOSE
MENU
HOME | SENIOR SCHOOL | ACADEMIC | Physical Education

Physical Education

Year 7

Year 7 have a single lesson every other week covering activities such as HRF, Fundamental Skills and Sportshall Athletics, and a games afternoon every week covering sports such as netball, hockey, gymnastics, tennis and athletics.

Additionally, the PE department runs many co-curricular clubs and offers Year 7 the opportunity to be involved in matches against other schools and fitness and holiday training.

All information pertaining to fixtures and training can be found on the School Sports section of the website.

Year 8

In Year 8, pupils have one double and one single period a week, when they take part in a full and varied PE programme. The PE programme is designed to consolidate and extend previously learned skills and to offer enjoyment and encouragement to all. Through a carefully planned curriculum, pupils will gain knowledge and understanding of the importance of leading a healthy and balanced lifestyle, in which sport and exercise are key components. Our co-curricular activities are extensive and girls are encouraged to join as many clubs as possible.

A selection of sports is covered in curriculum time including netball, hockey, gymnastics, fitness, tennis and athletics.

Year 9

In Year 9, pupils have one double period, taking the form of a games afternoon, and a single lesson a week, when they will take part in a full and varied PE programme. The PE programme is designed to build on the pupils’ knowledge learnt in Years 7 and 8, but extend and push them. As always, the programme is designed to offer enjoyment and encouragement to all. Through a carefully planned curriculum, pupils will gain knowledge and understanding of the importance of leading a healthy and balanced lifestyle and have access to sports which they may not have participated in before.

By the end of Key Stage 3, pupils will have been assessed and they will be expected to identify their main areas of weakness and strength. Pupils will be expected to select and combine their skills, techniques and ideas and apply them accurately and appropriately, consistently showing precision, control and fluency. Our co-curricular programme, as in the previous years, is extensive and girls are encouraged to join as many clubs as possible.

Years 10 and 11

In Years 10 and 11, the girls are given the opportunity to choose a PE Pathway based on their strengths for their weekly double lesson. These pathways are competitive, all-rounder or fit for life. Each pathway provides different sports and activities which are best suited to the girls’ strengths, to allow them to enjoy all aspects of their Physical Education lessons. The idea of letting girls to choose a pathway is to allow them to take pleasure in their Physical Education lessons and hopefully find an activity they can take part in past their school days, ensuring a healthy, active lifestyle.

At the beginning of the academic year, girls choose which pathway they would like to follow for the three terms. The pathways are outlined below.

Competitive pathway Artistic pathway All-Rounder pathway
Netball
Hockey
Fitness
Athletics
Rounders
Tennis
Dance
Fitness
Gymnastics
Aerobics
Trampolining
Athletics
Trampolining
Games
Athletics
Tennis
Rounders
Fitness

Years 10 and 11 – GCSE PE

40% Examination (Theory) 1hr 30min exam paper in Year 11

60% Practical and Controlled Assessment (internally assessed) and a practical Controlled Assessment day in Year 11

Students will demonstrate an understanding of the relationship between exercise, diet, work and rest, and how, together, they contribute to a balanced healthy lifestyle. They will learn about the impact of physical activity and exercise on the cardiovascular, respiratory, muscular and skeletal systems. Students will gain an understanding of the effects of diet, smoking and drugs as well as the training methods required for certain sports. The course allows students to develop an awareness and appreciation of their own and others’ performances in relation to physical education, as well as being academically demanding.

Controlled Assessment

• Understanding rules and tactics
  • Observation and analysis of performance
  • Evaluation of performance
  • Plan strategies, practices & tactics
  • Plan and implement a six-week personal exercise programme (PEP)

Practical Assessment

Students will undertake four assessments from at least two sports areas. Two assessments must be as a performer; the others can be as a performer but could also be as an official or a leader.

Sixth Form

In the Sixth Form the girls have a single PE lesson a week, where they follow a carousel of different activities which are spread over their two years. The carousel options outlined below enable girls to have an opportunity to take part in a variety of activities, including competitive, aesthetic and, importantly for Sixth Form, stress-relieving. All activities apart from climbing take place on the school site, led by PE staff or qualified instructors.

The options include Climbing, Tennis, Trampolining, Netball, Yoga, Fitness, Badminton and Zumba.

back to top

Physical Education

Year 7

Year 8

Year 9

Years 10 and 11

Netball
Hockey
Fitness
Athletics
Rounders
Tennis
Dance
Fitness
Gymnastics
Aerobics
Trampolining
Athletics
Trampolining
Games
Athletics
Tennis
Rounders
Fitness

Years 10 and 11 – GCSE PE

Controlled Assessment

• Understanding rules and tactics
  • Evaluation of performance
  • Plan strategies, practices & tactics

Practical Assessment

Sixth Form

back to top